Monday, May 2, 2011

Don't Borrow Trouble

Don't borrow trouble. That's a phrase I haven't heard in years yet suddenly came to my mind this morning. I love how God uses whatever means necessary to teach us and get His point across to us.  For me, that happend to be waking me up at 2:00 am last night. God really put on my heart yesterday how much I worry, and on a deeper level, the fact that my worrying comes from my desire to be in control. I'm a planner - I love my calendar, live by lists, and consider myself productive most of the time. That's also the reason I love my husband... he is not. Nate flys by the seat of his pants, doesn't let too many things ruffle his feathers, and is perfectly content doing nothing. God has totally used him in my life to grow and teach me. Last night, however, I needed an extra lesson in giving up control and trusting God.

Nate and I are just starting the process of looking to buy a house. As exciting as this is, it's also a bit overwhelming and nerve-racking, and I spent the day yesterday worrying and stressing about every part of buying a home. When I woke up in the middle of the night, my mind immediately began the cycle of worry. Almost immediately, I felt the Lord speaking to me of Provers 3:5-6 - "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding..." I woke up this morning and told Nate what a great reminder it had been of a few things:

1. God is ultimlately in control and His plan will prevail, no matter how much I try to control or put my plan in place.

2. God is a good and faithful God, and His will for our life is perfect... meaning it's much better than anything I can try to figure out or do on my own.

3. Worry and stressing about things that are out of my control doesn't change things or make them better.

I know that God made me a planner for a reason and there are some great qualities that come from that. For now, I'm content resting in the fact that God's got us covered - in every part of our life!

Happy Monday.

1 comment:

  1. Love this Ber!! I needed to read it and be reminded :) Glad I'm not the only one that struggles with trying to control God! Love and miss you

    ReplyDelete